Topic started by Raja (@ 22.214.171.124) on Tue Apr 2 23:27:21 EST 2002.
All times in EST +10:30 for IST.
Post the latest on Baba music here.
- Old responses
- From: thoo (@ 126.96.36.199)
on: Sun Aug 4 10:34:44 EDT 2002
washt level cull tech
- From: TruthSucks (@ 188.8.131.52)
on: Sun Aug 4 10:43:36 EDT 2002
A GREAT BABA REVIEW
REVIEWED BY : Swapnil Mistry
"Baba", according to me, should be liked by both the masses and classes as it has got those ingredients to satisfy each one's tastes.
Baba's music is good and is different from the typical Rajini-style of music. It is youngish, yet fresh and appealing. It is pacy yet melodious. ARR proves himself again that he can churn out good tunes inspite of being under pressure. Actually the slogan "known is a drop...unknown is an ocean" stands absolutely true for ARR. All the songs have some speciality. Lets look at them in detail:
1. Baba theme- Ekamevadwiyam (Srinivas): The first time I heard this piece OF JUNK, I almost felt I'm in a ZOO or a JUNGLE. The prelude has DISGUSTING INSTRUMENTS playing a ANNOYING tune. And then Srini enters with a base-voice, sounding a bit like KARADI. The entire piece looks like pundits chanting a mantra for a holy ritual in a temple. The background work is THE WORST PIECE I HAVE HEARD IN ALL MY LIFE; an early morning raag (Sa Re~ Ga Ma Pa Dha~ Ni Sa; ~ means komal swara). After Srini ends, there is a female voice sounding like an DONKEY bells ringing. That bell sound really gives u a IRRITATING feeling and it KILLS ur soul. Its a beautiful way to MURDER an album. The only complaint is that its too LONG. Rating: 1/ 10.
2. Dippu dippu (Shankar Mahadevan): Seems that ARR is seriously COPYING Bhangra beats..."Lagaan" was the beginning, "Pagdi sambhaal" continued the trend, "Wedding qawwali" proved the fact and now this one. ONLY DIFFERENCE IS IT SUCKS. It starts with STUPID vocals in the upper pitch by Shankar singing "Babaaa..." and then it shifts to a kind of music with marching beats and suddenly unexpectedly u hear Bhangra beats with chorus shouting "Aaho!" LIKE OPARI IN EZAVU VEEDUS. The song is DISGUSTING with regular ARR percussions. After the cross line, its amazing to listen to the downwards progression of the notes by the chorus. The 1st interlude resembles a lot like those Indi-pop Punjabi songs (Jassi's "Dil le gayi kudi...") played on the organ. The antara is WORST with able support from the strings department. With the strings, it sounds more DISGUSTING. T ating: 0/ 10.
3. Baba kichchu taa (Reena Bhardwaj/ S.P.B): A new PERSON TO KILL TAMIL, again! From where do these singers COME FROM HELL?, I really wonder. I want to find out how these unknown figures become a subject of IRRITATION once they sing for ARR. But I must confess that ARR knows how HE PAYS TO new talents. HE GIVES ONE PLATE BIRIYANI AND SENDS THEM OFF. They suit the song so well that people forget that he/ she is a new singer. Nyways, the song is a sweet melody based on "GOD ONLY KNOWS" RAAGA.. Reena's voice is a mixture of Sadhana+Kavita Paudwal+Sujata Trivedi+Chitra Sivaraman. DON'T LAUGH AT THIS COMBO. IT SOUNDED LIKE CHORUS. THAT'S WHAT I MEANT. She's got that ANNOYANCE in her voice yet an appealing one. She's equally BAD in lower as well as upper octaves. The song has got a ANOTHER UNBEARABLE rhythm.TOTALLY THE SONG IS WASTE Rating: 0/10
4. Maya maya (Karthik/ Sujatha): The song starts with Karthik's vocals and rhythms. Then the main lines enter "Maya maya ellam maya, chaya chaya ellam chaya" with such a force and the rhythm joins in. WHAT KIND OF LYRICS THIS MUST BE. LYRICIST SHOULD BE EXECUTED. . Rating: 0/ 10.
5. Rajiyama (Jayachandran): IF YOU HAVE HEARD MELLISAI FROM T.R.PAPPA PROBABLY YOU WON'T LISTEN TO THIS. ONLY DIFFERENCE IS T.R.PAPPA IS 1000 TIMES BETTER. I AM CONVINCED THIS DUMB HEAD ARR HAS NO TALENT. HE JUST CHURNS OUT CRAP AFTER CRAP. Rating: 0/ 10.
6. Sakthi kodu (Karthik): BOURNVITA, HORLICKS TYPE OF SONG. DON'T EVEN LISTEN TO IT ONCE. IT IS THE WORST INSPIRATIONAL SONG ONE CAN HOPE TO SEE. WITH THE DISUGSTING MUSICAL ARRANGEMENTS YOU MIGHT FEEL DEPRESSED WHY YOU LISTENED TO THIS IN THE FIRST PLACE. STAY AWAY FROM HEAVY AND SHARP OBJECTS AS FAR AS POSSIBLE WHILE LISTENING TO THIS. 0/ 10.
So, lets hope "Baba" creates NEW KALLADIS for Rajini FANS as well as ARR. Its a humble attempt and ARR should be DUMPED and DEPORTED FROM THE COUNTRY.
- From: Derek Jeter (@ 184.108.40.206)
on: Sun Aug 4 10:47:08 EDT 2002
Read my posting properly before backing up JJ... PPL can post their review and that doesnt matter.. if u go to the old responses, u can see JJ posting atleast 10 times the same crappy review.. Tell me if any IR's album is bad, does he do that... He comes to Baba forum and talks about Ivan and some movies which nobody even wants to listen...
And for you JJ,you had said that
'I went through the ordeal of listening each and every song to judge it. His lack of creativity was exposed clearly in this album.' whereas one of ur earlier postings says that u deleted the songs as soon as u heard it the first time.. So u are music genius to judge a song by hearing it the first time.....and there are some more genius ppl appreciating you.... Whatever u try to hide ur frustration, u cant succeed in that.. The truth is that this album is good, and the cassette and CD sales have been great throughout the world...
- From: Truth sucks (@ 220.127.116.11)
on: Sun Aug 4 10:51:42 EDT 2002
From: mottai (@ 18.104.22.168) on: Sun Aug 4 02:47:13 EDT 2002
absolute trash by arr
From: kalimuthu.R. (@ 22.214.171.124) on: Sun Aug 4 02:56:15 EDT 2002
well the songs are surely a disappointment for the hype it created.If AR cannot concentrate on tamil movie songs in the midst of his london schedules he should have backed when offered the oppurtunity by the thalaivar.But still lets hope that the songs become a hit after he film is released.
From: SV (@ 126.96.36.199) on: Sat Aug 3 13:56:04 EDT 2002
Couldn't beleive that AR has composed such songs for the Super star. Its a disappointment for all Rajini fans. It is certainly a black spot in the wide Rajini collections. Even Deva could have done something better than AR for Baba.
From: signs are predictable (@ 188.8.131.52) on: Sat Aug 3 13:36:43 EDT 2002
rahman is the shyamalan of music. slow, boring and the same old s
From: rAms (@ 184.108.40.206) on: Sat Aug 3 11:59:12 EDT 2002
Hi "Derek Jeter"!
So, do you mean that those who love the songs should keep coming to check and post new reviews whereas once that are disappointed have no reason to post new ones? Sorry, I can't understand what you've thought.
And to be honest, I dont think Baba music is upto the mark. Other than 1 or 2 songs (Kichu Kichu and Maaya Maaya), I never feel like listening to ne other track.
Mabbe, after the movie is out, the context of the movie might help in better time for the songs.
But, i admit...some songs become pleasing only with time, and donno whether that'd be the case with Baba.
One thing is for sure. The high expectation for the movie definitely worked against its fame, and the high expextation is definitely not met with.
From: MusicFan (@ 220.127.116.11) on: Sat Aug 3 09:17:49 EDT 2002
It's a big let down by ARR. What a disappointment! I was eagerly waiting for this BABA album and after listening to it for about 7 times, it got worse! Big disappointment! Anybody else would have done a far better job.
From: saibaba (@ 18.104.22.168) on: Sat Aug 3 07:17:36 EDT 2002
ARR has done a shitty job! He has deceived Rajini and his fans.Also Rajini doesn't have the capability to pick good songs for his movies
From: x (@ 22.214.171.124) on: Sat Aug 3 07:23:27 EDT 2002
I heard ARR was paid 1 crore for baba.... for this load of shit???? unbelievable.. Rajini of course doesn't have a good taste but ARR did a reasonable job, if not a great job, for muthu and padayappa. But this is crap.
From: S.Guhananth (@ 126.96.36.199) on: Sat Aug 3 07:39:14 EDT 2002
All songs from "Baba" film is worst.I don't kniw why Mr.A.R Raham did like this in "Baba".He did well in "Padayappa".If they had give the music to other music diretors like Ilayaraja or Deva,they would have done it well.Every one in this city are feeling the same situation for the film "BABA"
From: venk (@ 188.8.131.52) on: Sat Aug 3 08:35:45 EDT 2002
worst arbham of rajini movie i guess....
most of the songs are remembering old songs...
maya - 'poo poova..poo poova poothirukku bhomi ' song
voices or not in quality...except new face reena
bad luck again with ARR & Rajini combination..
i dont know anyone threw a stone on ARR's house by this time...! like it happend last time
From: ramkrishnan (@ 184.108.40.206) on: Sat Aug 3 08:44:24 EDT 2002
except for may maya ,everything is bad
From: Pras (@ 220.127.116.11) on: Sat Aug 3 05:21:07 EDT 2002
"ARR disapoints once again" from cinesouth.com
- From: Baba fan (@ 18.104.22.168)
on: Sun Aug 4 10:55:37 EDT 2002
Actually baba songs r great....
But u will nvr realize this when u listen the songs 4 the 1st time...
after a few attempts sure u will stick on the songs.
this is my own experience
- From: curt (@ 22.214.171.124)
on: Sun Aug 4 11:06:25 EDT 2002
with baba's music rahman has defined a new brand of rajni songs ,which i think should be appreciated. rahman has always been a very gutsy performer, that is why he has gambled with such a new brand of music for rajni's film.u should also take in to the consideration that rahman had been working for the internationally renowned album "BOMBAY DREAMS". people( rather we can put it anyway) like jj and swapnil should understand that rahman not only represents tamil music in india but also indian music in the whole world and that too successfully ,by conquering records created by maddonna and miss.britney. no doubt he is the "SACHIN TENDULKAR OF MUSIC".
List all pages of this thread