Topic started by Its Me (@ 126.96.36.199) on Mon Jan 28 08:45:38 EST 2002.
All times in EST +10:30 for IST.
BGM. Often used word in all ARR Vs IR threads. The only defense the IR fans have. The only thing IR fans say ARR lacks.
Coming to think of it, Whatz so good about his BGM? Nothing path-breaking or out-of-the-world, i should say. I was watching "Poovizhe vaasalile" yesterday. Horrible BGM... He keeps on playing the songs "Oru kiliyin pirivinile iru kiliyin uravu" & "chinna chinna rosa poove" in the background. ( Now, if ARR does that, he deserves CAPITAL PUNISHMENT ). And in some scenes he gives some sounds that you will get to hear only in hand-held Video Games. (scene where sathyaraj hides in a pit, for eg) Now, IR fans can pounce on me after seeing the film for yourself.
Anyway this is just the tip of the iceberg. If it happens to be a village based film you can find the "SAME KIND" of thaarai/thappattai played in the background (especially in chasing & fight scenes ). In one thread i read that "Thenpaandi seemaiyile" song is played at many places in Nayagan.( To give punch ofcourse, coz its IR ).
Im not taking any credit away from IR. He has given some good BGMs in some movies. But how can that make him THE authority in BGM. Agreed that in many films he has not used the songs themselves as BGM. But is it enough just to compose a new piece, however bad the piece may be? Shouldnt it be quality over quantity ??
Now on a different note, Dont you guyz think that ARR concentrates more on the interlude music in songs ??? Dont you think he has composed some of the greatest-ever interlude music pieces ?? If he can do that, cant he score BGMs. ( On the contrary, did IR ever concentrate on interludes? ). The fact is that ARR has composed beautiful BGMs but not many ppl seem to appreciate it. People are sticking so badly to the statement "ARR cant compose BGMs", for their own reasons. Some useless guy first made this comment & IR fans instantly stuck to it as they knew they have no other defence. I ve been listening to the lotsa BGM pieces posted in the arrfans group and they definitely sound great. ( Those who saw May madham in KTV y'day will definitely agree with me ). IMO, they criticize ARR for the sake of criticizing.
Expecing great deal of bashing from IR fans.
- Old responses
- From: kk (@ 188.8.131.52)
on: Tue Jan 29 13:41:23 EST 2002
A list of samples, with great interludes from IR, reposted from old thread.
Mr. its me have a look. Ever heard these?
From: sree (@ orchid.cs.concordia.ca) on: Sat May 9 00:09:00 EDT 1998
COMPLETE LISTING OF IR SONGS IN THIS THREAD:
1. Interludes in the song 'Muthalmuthalakka Kadal Duet Pada Vandene' (Niram Maratha Pookkal)
2. Interludes in the song 'Ninaivo Oru Paravai' (Sigappu Rojakkal)
3. Interludes in the song 'Sandan Kattre' (Thanikkattu Raja')
4. Interludes in the song 'Unakkena Thaane Inneramam' (Sakkalathi)
5. Interludes in the song 'Nee Iladha Podhu Yengum Ennam' (Ilamai Kkolam)
6. Interludes in the song 'Appane, Appane, Pillayar Appane' (Annai Oru Aalayam)
7. Ennulae (valli)
8. Kadhal Kavithaigal(gopura vasalilae)
9. Inji idupalaga(Thevar Magan)
10. povae sempovae(solla thudikuthu manasu )
11. kodai kala katrae(panner pushpangal)
12. sangeetha maekkam(udayageetham)
13. En vannilae(johny)
14. Enthan nenjil (kalaignan)
15. Thalatuthe vanam(kadal meengal)
16. Rasavae unnai(vaidehi kathirunthaal)
17. Ennai Thaalatta Varuvall.. - Kadhalukku Mariyathai
18. Sundari Kannal oru sethi.. - Thalapathi.
19. Anthi Mazhai pozhikirathu..- Rajapaarvai.
20. Paadava un paadalai.. - Naan Paadum Paadal.
21. Puthum puthu poo poothatho(Thalapathy)
22. Mannil indha kadhal indri(Keladi Kanmani)
23. Mottamadi mottamadi(Anjali)
24. Anjali Anjali Anjali(Anjali)
25. Nilavae vaa(Mouna Ragam)
26. Pani vilzhum iravu (Mouna ragam)
27. Valai oosai kala kala vaena(Sathya)
28. Shenbagamae shenbagamae(Enga ooru songkaran)
29. Kalam Kalam maka valzhum kathalukku(Punnakai Mannan)
30. Music bit in Punnagai Mannan Cassette which also comes in the film.
31. Aadi athaadi (Kadaloora Kavithaigal)
32. Kuyila pudichu (Chinna thambi)
33. Nenjikullae inar yendru(Ponnumani)
34. Chinna chinna rojapoovae(poovilzhi vasalilae)
35. Anbe vaa arukilae en vasal(kili pechu kaekka vaa)
36. Kuyil pattu oo vanthuenna ellam maane(En raasavin manasilae)
37. Putham Puthu Kaalai ponn nera velai(Alaigal Oyvathillai)
38. Madai thiranthu(Nizhalgal)
39. Kalyana Maalai(Puthu Puthu Arthangal)
40. Keladi kanmani(Puthu Puthu Arthangal).
41. Then Pandi cheemayilae(Nayakan)
42. Vann uyarantha sollayilae(idhaya koyil)
43. Thoongatha vizhigal irandu(Agni natchathiram)
44. Potri paadadi ponne (Devar Magan)
45. Yetho Mogam (Kozhi koovuthu)
46. Yenna satham (Punnagai Mannan)
47. Ilaya Nila
48. Pani Vizhum Malarvanam (ninai vellam nithya)
49. Andhi Mazhai
51. Pani vizhum iravu (Mouna Raagam)
52. Paruvamme (Njenjathai kllathe)
53. Aruvadai Naal( premam preman... Unbeleivable stuff)
54. Kattumarakkaran(Kathum kadal).
57. Oh!! Butterfly(Meera)
58. Mahanadi(The bit when kamal and sukanya dream like singing )
59.Mammavukku(Punnagai mannan : Raja has done a wonderful job. He has used calypso(carribean) in this song.
60. Poonkathave (Nizhalgal)
61. Sujatha's song from Guru ( Infact almost all the Guru songs have terrific interludes)
62. Sharadendu (Kaliyunjal)
63. Innum Ennai (Sringaravelan)
64. Thendral than - keladi kanmani
65. Thendral vandhu - Avatharam
66. Asaiya kathula - Jonny
67. Naan yarru - Chinna Jameen(Single violin)
68. Oru mandarapu - CHinna jameen
69. thenmozhi - solla thudikuthu manasu(One of best of raja)
70. Nattu vecha - aranmanai kili
71. Dil bar Janne - kalaigan
72. Poongatru (Mooram Pirai)
73. Kanne kalaimanne(Mooram Pirai)
74. Vaan Megam(Mouna ragam - The trumpet piece)
75. Illamai enum(Moodupani????)
76. Oh vasantha raja(Neengal kettavai)
77. Allapol Vellapol(Yejamaan)
79. U r in my dreams(nadodi thenral)
80. Pothhi vatcha(Maan vasanai)
81. Ennadi meenakshi(Illamai oonjaladukirathu - Amzazing guitar piece)
82. Vanthathe (Kizhaku Vasal - Beautiful song)
83. Pachamala poove(Kizhaku Vasal)
84. Rasave(Aranmanai kili)
85. Varuthu Varuthu (Bhrama)
87. Kayatha then nila(Mammoty's first tam. film)
89. Vannile(Kakki chattai)
90. Pottu vaitha(Idayam)
91. Kumkumam Manjalukku(Muthalazhi)
92. Kalaiyil(Senthamizh pattu)
- From: vimal (@ 184.108.40.206)
on: Tue Jan 29 16:53:00 EST 2002
please add all the songs from Anjali and Agni Nakshathiram!!
- From: suresh (@ 220.127.116.11)
on: Tue Jan 29 22:56:52 EST 2002
Read up the reviews for the last 2 IR movies "Kaasi" and "Azhagi" in the Tamil print and online media and tell us if any other MD (in India) consistently gets reviewed for good BGM. Or would it suit your jaundiced view to paint - Ananda Vikatan, Kumudam, Kalki, sify.com, ambalam.com, aaramthinai.com, renowned film critics such as Theodore Bhaskaran and Gowri Ramnarayan - as tone deaf HCIRFs or plain stupid? Doesn't it ever occur to you that for someone to get spoken in glowing terms for his craft even 25 years after his debut (and 800+ films later) is something you ought to acknowledge, leave alone appreciate?
Don't tell us that only HCIRFs are gushing about his BGM. If you'd seen Jaya TV (Malayala Karayoram) and Vijay TV (Fazil's interview) on Jan 26, you'll see why even the Malayalam crop of Priyadarshan, Fazil, Siddique, Vinayan, who have no (commercial) need to idolise IR speak in such glowing terms of his contribution to the final mood and form of the movie.
- From: avr (@ 18.104.22.168)
on: Tue Jan 29 23:42:40 EST 2002
hello KK and other guys:
I have been posting in this forum for a long time. I am actually a Northie. I once saw a site on IR which had a lot of BGM clips and song clips. When I listened to the BGM, I could somehow sense the situation very well. Ir speaks through his music. Even ARR does that. But IR has done MORE so far. Maybe ARR will also catch up soon, I dont know.
But the fact is IRs BGM is highly stimulating and extremely pleasing. He is a MAESTRO. lets give credit wherever it is due. To ARR or IR.
KK, your list is amazing. I agree - IR has also the ability to give beautiful interludes. Check out the Azhagi and Kaasi songs (and they may be nowhere near his best). If his "NOT SDO BEST" are so good, then I cant imagine how good his "BEST" really is!!! The interludes in POOKADHAVE sung by Uma ramanan and Deepan C, for example, are very very very beautiful.
hats off to IR. TFM was lucky to have such a genius. Sadly HFM did not recognise IRs talent. But atleast they are recognising ARRs genius. Thats good.
And to all the HARD CORE ARR/IRT fans, i reuqest u to stop bashing IR/ARR. Lets discuss their individual contributions - forget "X is better than Y" type of arguments.
Another very lovely IR album in recent times - GURU (malayalam)
- From: srini (@ 22.214.171.124)
on: Wed Jan 30 00:09:00 EST 2002
Try 'Ororama aathu pakam thenan thopu' from Idayakoil.
It shows IR's sense of humour also
- From: peeps (@ 126.96.36.199)
on: Wed Jan 30 08:35:56 EST 2002
yarukku message post pannineenga?who is this sree?
I couldnt see any post in the name of sree !!
- From: srini (@ 188.8.131.52)
on: Wed Jan 30 09:54:15 EST 2002
The original message from kk has a listing from sree. Got confused
That one was for kk
- From: peeps (@ 184.108.40.206)
on: Tue Feb 5 08:33:56 EST 2002
yesterday in raj tv salangai oli scenes were shown..no wonder IR got a national award for it..when kamal meets jayapradha for the first time in that photo studio and when she shows the photos taken a violin peice takes you to different world man..to know the real effect of BGM we need to watch the same scenes without BGM first and then with BGM..in my humble opinion BGM is like backbone for a film..the impact created by a good BGM helps to evoke the emotion in the veiwers mind(heart??)..
- From: hihi:-) (@ 220.127.116.11)
on: Tue Feb 5 13:33:58 EST 2002
i started watching mouna ragam las evening. i couldn't go beyond the beginning of the song nilAvE vA. i couldn't believe that once i thought this was a good movie! the bgm was not that impressive either. the title music (i.e., the bgm during the titles) started out grand but soon took so many turn it sounded like a hotch-potch :-( i think there was a panthuvarALi based piece in a couple of places which was good. most often the bgm seemed broken or cliched. is it this way or am i missing something? i haven't watched too many tamil movies in the last 8 years but if mouna rAgam were one of the good movies then :-(. are there any movies of the caliber of hey ram (in theme and music)?
- From: AG (@ 18.104.22.168)
on: Tue Feb 5 14:13:35 EST 2002
yeah .. Alavandhan
- From: oosai (@ 22.214.171.124)
on: Tue Feb 5 15:12:43 EST 2002
Send me an email ASAP.
- From: Roshan (@ )
on: Sat Nov 20 21:03:42 EST 2004
Stu*id immature f**kers.. i dont think either IR or ARR waste their time arguing whos better or whos di*k is longer.. As far as Im concerned Im happy both individuals were born on this earth and we are lucky to enjoy their music.. if you are true fans of music.. not just IR music or ARR music .. just shut up and enjoy.
List all pages of this thread
Back to the Forum