Topic started by Thathuvavaathi (@ 220.127.116.11) on Sun Oct 21 06:30:29 EDT 2001.
All times in EST +10:30 for IST.
The much awaited "NANDHAA" film songs (Music : Yuvan Shankar Raja, Direction : Bala) are being released today (21-10-2001). Kamal Hasan is releasing the first audio cassette and Bharathiraja is receiving it, at Hotel Connemara, Chennai.
The songs are totally fresh & different, and not the usual Yuvan's latino-type music. This album can easily be compared to some of the best of Ilayaraja when he was at his best.
Hear the songs and enjoy.
(The sample audio songs will be posted here tomorrow - 22nd Oct, 2001)
- Old responses
- From: IsaiPriyan (@ 18.104.22.168)
on: Mon Oct 22 23:16:00 EDT 2001
Well, here goes the review of Nandhaa..
1) Mun Paniya Mudhal Mazhaiya (SPB, Malgudi Subha) - Easily the best of the album and boy, what a great rendering by SPB. The violin interludes are mindblowing. You've got to listen to it to appreciate the feeling. It sets the climate for the whole movie and straighaway gives u the impression that a mature movie (and music) is to follow.
2) Kalli Adi Kalli (Anuradha Sriram and chorus) - Wasnt much impressed by the tune on my 1st listen. But the orchestration seems good and YSR seemed to create a feeling that he is trying to give a fresh air of music.
3) Engengo (Ilaiyarajaa) - The maestro is back !! After "Ninnai Charan Adainthen", we havent heard anything from his voice. I really wonder how IR's voice suits such situations. A sad song, and beautifully rendered by IR. Hats off !!
4) Thiruppavai recitation (Rajalakshmi and chorus) - Based on Andal's Thiruppavai, this a good recitation. I personally felt it could have been set to a different raga. This recitation is based on Sindhu Bhairavi raga, and reminds u of previous songs in this raga (esp the Carnatic song "Venkatachala Nilayam").
5) Amma (Ilayaraja) - Surprised to see IR render 2 songs. Again, IR fits into the mood so well and sings with ease. Good song again !!
6) Oraayiram yaanai (Unnikrishnan) - Nothing special about this song. Disappointed )-::
Nos 1) and 4) are repeated in the casette.
On the whole I feel this is a new point in YSR's career, as he tries to breakaway from his penchant towards fast, peppy numbers to much more mature stuff. He's got the potential, as we've seen before. It is only a matter of time (and luck) before he gets projets with story and screenplay value. Hope he does well in the BGM also. And hope there is good scope for BGM in the movie.
All, IMHO !!
- From: RR (@ 22.214.171.124)
on: Mon Oct 22 23:19:08 EDT 2001
thaths: can you send me a mail :-)
- From: shay (@ 126.96.36.199)
on: Mon Oct 22 23:28:22 EDT 2001
it really nice the best songs out now
- From: mottai (@ 188.8.131.52)
on: Mon Oct 22 23:44:11 EDT 2001
arumai..paatellam arumaiyooo arumai....puliku pirandhadu poonai aagathu..vazhga raasavin kudumbam...
- From: NagaS (@ 184.108.40.206)
on: Tue Oct 23 03:12:56 EDT 2001
I am also very disappointed that the SPB-S.Janaki Song is not there :-(
Yet to get the cassette in Bangalore,
BTW, Anybody read the webulagam.com article given above ? Looks like YSR is the MD for Bharathiraja's next home production (Directed by a new guy), Thats good news !
- From: Normal Man (@ 220.127.116.11)
on: Tue Oct 23 04:27:52 EDT 2001
On on my first hear, pretty fresh and an impressive album. This guy doesn't fail to impress. More later.....
- From: NagaS (@ 18.104.22.168)
on: Tue Oct 23 04:33:03 EDT 2001
I think Nandhaa.com is the first official movie site to give song samples in MP3 :-)
I just listened to the first few lines of 'Munpaniya', Just wonderful, Can't wait to listen to the whole song & the album !
PoRuththiru manamee, You will get the cassette today evening :-)
- From: Shankar (@ 22.214.171.124)
on: Tue Oct 23 05:09:02 EDT 2001
Where did u enquire ?? Is it gonna be avbl in music world ??? If affirmative, we might see each other without knowing who's who ;-)
- From: darul (@ 126.96.36.199)
on: Tue Oct 23 05:34:45 EDT 2001
This songs is as like a setting of heavy clouds before a real good awaited rain .....Great Stuff YSR...,..thru SPB song.....we IR in YSR
- From: Guru (@ 188.8.131.52)
on: Tue Oct 23 05:57:18 EDT 2001
Guys a Good job done by Yuvan Syabas .....I think the flute for song's is by Arun Moli Real Name
- From: prabhu (@ 184.108.40.206)
on: Tue Oct 23 05:58:41 EDT 2001
S.janaki's song is not there
I am very disappointed
- From: NagaS (@ 220.127.116.11)
on: Tue Oct 23 06:20:52 EDT 2001
I have a shop near my house, The owner said nandha cassette will come ttoday evening,
Anyway I am going to Indira Nagar Music World today evening, Just in case ... :-)
- From: raja.visiri (@ 18.104.22.168)
on: Tue Oct 23 07:52:59 EDT 2001
woooow what a performance...i can't wait for the cd is out...
What a song by SPB and the other song i our maestro IR...haven't got words to describe my feelings after have listen the songs...man what a album...
- From: musiclove (@ 22.214.171.124)
on: Tue Oct 23 11:04:29 EDT 2001
pls give original mail ids here.
then if we are interested we can talk and discuss things am i right>prabhu (@ 126.96.36.199) sreecharn
- From: Punithan (@ 188.8.131.52)
on: Tue Oct 23 11:34:44 EDT 2001
Very very disappointed as Janaki's song is not there. TFM webmaster please verify informations in your News section. Praying that Janaki's song would be there in Paarthaale Paravasam
- From: Ambuli (@ 184.108.40.206)
on: Tue Oct 23 15:41:24 EDT 2001
I'm tongue-tied after having listened to Nanda sample songs!! Hats off to Maestro's indefinable voice!! Man, has he done a great job!!!!!! I can't wait to see the movie!! Since Sethu is my favourite movie I'm damn sure that Nanda will join this list!I'll join u all after seeing the movie!!
- From: NCR (@ 220.127.116.11)
on: Tue Oct 23 16:02:21 EDT 2001
Nandha songs are really terrific.YSR has done a great job. Definetely YSR is the one who will be going to be watched in future. He is not hyped so far which good for him. He is slowly proving.
- From: aruLaracan (@ 18.104.22.168)
on: Tue Oct 23 16:10:21 EDT 2001
mupaniyA: the chorus in the first interlude and the the flute reminds me of an a.r.r song.
OrAyiram sounds good.
engengO kAlkaL cellum pAtaiyil pOginRAy: beautiful; sung well by IR;
Adhmaiva (??) - worst song of the album. ultimate insult to ANTAL and to IR. words are wrong; bad tune; spitting the pAcuram at wrong places. the song is worse than that keyavi kaththing kanA kaNTEn at the end of every verse of vAraNamAyiram in hey ram! yuck.
i stopped with this song. i dont know how the other two? (three?) songs sound. all opinions after listening to the samples at busy.... site.
- From: sats (@ 22.214.171.124)
on: Tue Oct 23 17:07:25 EDT 2001
Too much of hype for this album in my IMHO after hearing the samples i liked only the "Kalli" song believe me this might be the instant hit
- From: musicurry (@ 126.96.36.199)
on: Tue Oct 23 20:53:21 EDT 2001
Yet another review!!!
spb in his vocal best.the lyrics are good and are appealing.the flute in the interlude is good.
my score: 8/10
i think this is the song that might highlight the movie.yuvan has used tunes which can be termed as heavy..we might appreciate the songs once we have seen the movie probably.
my score: 9/10
A typical yuvan-kartik song... not very different..some parts resembles some ilayaraja songs..
my score: 7/10
resembles "margazhi thingal" and follows the same format.so i was not very much impressed ...may be he could have experimented with some other raaga?
My Score: 6/10
in my opinion,it is a very heavy song..and yuvan must have surprised many by the way by which he has handled this song.check out the interlude or the title music.ilayaraja as usual is good in these types of songs..
6.Engengo kalkal sellum
Good song...i would have mistaken it to be a ilayaraja song if i had not known that it has been composed by yuvan.but yuvan has tried his best to make it melodious with the rite choice of instruments..
my score: 8/10
total :48/60 ----->8/10(av)
- From: prabhu (@ 188.8.131.52)
on: Wed Oct 24 00:55:16 EDT 2001
punithan who is the music director For Paarthaalea paravasam
Is janaki song there
- From: Madhav (@ 184.108.40.206)
on: Wed Oct 24 04:39:34 EDT 2001
I have had a chance to listen to this album repeatedly and that is why I have only come to post my review after thouroughly listening to it.
This album marks a turning point in Yuvan's career as I feel that he has showed himself to be capable of handling emotional and true indian music without any hints of western influences.
1.Mun Paniye is my choice of song of the year. What a great melodious tune and also vocals by SPB really bring out the emotion in the song. The interludes are soft and flowing and the orchestration in immaculate.
2.Or Ayiram sung by Unnikrishnan is also another well established and thought out track. Yuvan has managed to blend Unni's soft voice into a song of such power. A very sombre but catchy song.
3.Kalli by Anu Sriram and Chorus. Anuradha has sung this song very well and truly you can picture Laila singing this track. It is a different type of music from YSR but is interesting and fresh.
4.Maayane by Rajalakshmi. Rajalakshmi's voice reminds me of Anu Sriram, but is a great singer.I think it is a nice track it is as a prayer should be and very melodious, but the sindhbhairavi is too obvious in it.Maybe another raga such as Revathi or Bhoopalam could have been used as many MD's(Such as ARR and SAR) rely solely on Sindhubhairavi and Sivaranjani.
5.Amma by IR. Yuvan made a great choice in making IR sing for this movie. Who else can bring out such feeling and emotion in a song. A well orchestrated and sung song and one of the best on the album.
6. Engengo sung by IR.Another stunning song by Yuvan,IR's vocals add perfection to the song. It is very IR style of music but a great effort.
Overall I would rate this album to be 9.5/10
Yuvan has obviously put a lot of effort into this album and conciously stayed away from his usual western influences. I would like to see the songs with the movie as I thought the music so far was spectacular and Yuvan has lived up to the hype of Nandha. I hope in future, he gets more big movie deals and grows as a musician as I enjoy seeing and hearing the transition he makes from album to album.
- From: Pittoos cassette corner (@ 220.127.116.11)
on: Wed Oct 24 04:43:52 EDT 2001
Sadharana album with two above aveage songs...Oru sensation um illai...Sales m kammi dhan....
Rombhave pugalrenge inge...Such an ordinary stuff.....
List all pages of this thread