Topic started by Karthik S (@ 188.8.131.52) on Tue Apr 24 23:24:21 EDT 2001.
All times in EST +10:30 for IST.
Can you list specific instances in movies where a raaga has been used...
1. with a pre-determined plan to fit that raaga in the storyline
2. with a particular mention about that raaga in the movie in any scene, thereby showing the grasp of the director over his composer and knowledge of music
3. use of a specific raaga with a purpose
All 3 are to do with usage of a raaga with a purpose and complete knowledge of both the composer and director.
1. Lalitha raagam for 'idhazhil kadhai ezhuthum' in Unnal Mudiyum Thambi. Remember? Seetha's name was Lalitha Kamalam in the movie! I'm sure this was KB's idea! Or was it IR's?
2. Use of suddha danyasi in the same movie (punjai undu nanjai), it was mentioned later by Gemini Ganesan in the movie! Was it an afterthought by KB or was it planned?
3. The song 'azhaithaal varuvale' from Jadhi Malli..incredible composition by Maragathamani. The raaga names are in the song itself...Sriranjani and Sivaranjani and Mukesh mizes both to make Kushboo get over her anger. I'm sure this is KB's idea! But very well executed by Maragathamani!
4. The only instance with ARR (and a non KB movie) I rememebr is the mention of nattaikurunji by Mammooty at the end of the 'kannamoochi yenada' song in KKKK.
5. Film: Sigaramam, Music: SPB. SPB discusses about the Pilu raagam with his wife Rekha and then composes his 'vannam konda vennilave' number.
Any more interesting instances??
- Old responses
- From: KS (@ 184.108.40.206)
on: Wed Apr 25 15:31:55 EDT 2001
Kupps & Karthik S,
Paadum Paravaigal- original film is Keeravani in Telugu. Vamsi is the director. Read about Vamsi-IR combination in raaja.com...although some info there is wrong. Vamsi is a very creative director. You can make this out just by looking at the song picturisations. He has always given IR all the freedom he needs. This combination has provided some of the best (viewable) songs of TelFM.
Indhamadhiri Badri's songs threadla Digression: illamayae sila per TelFM patri nalla vishayangal sonnanga. Naanum poondhu koncham deviate panni vitten. You can get some info on Vamsi-IR even there.
- From: Sriram Lakshman (@ 220.127.116.11)
on: Wed Apr 25 19:40:41 EDT 2001
'thOdi rAgam pAdavA' is in raag Gopika Vasantham, certainly not in thOdi.
'kadavuL vAzhum kOyililE' is in MayamaLava gouLa and not in mugari.
'nee oru rAga mAligai' sung by SPB has a different raag for each line with the name of the raag roped in to sound like a legitimate word, as in 'nee enakkE dAram' (kEdAram) 'unai en vasam tha' (vasantha) etc.
- From: Raagam (@ 18.104.22.168)
on: Wed Apr 25 22:48:59 EDT 2001
Enna Samiyalo from Unnal Mudiyum Thambi has raaga words like
"Kalyani Raagam Polavae Siva Biriyani"
"Raagam Vasantha naan rusithu paarkka rasam tha"
- From: Kannan (@ 22.214.171.124)
on: Mon Apr 30 10:42:07 EDT 2001
IR in an interview was telling that a MD's greatness is revealed by his use of Raga to match the atmosphere, surroundings, situations, emotions etc etc. There are some specific rules for using a raga. For this he was quoting Suddha Dhanyasi. C.Ramachandra used this raga in the song "Yeh Zindagi Usiki Hain" from Anarkali(I guess so). The surrounding for this song is a mountainous region surrounded with shrubs etc. Suddha Dhanyasi has to be used in those surroundings only. In tamizh we say Marudham nilappakudhi. For each and every kind of land(kurinji, mullai, marudham, neydhal & palai) there are some specific ragas to be used. So Suddha Dhanyasi pertains to Marudham land variety. This IR told in an interview. The above song by C.R was IR's inspiration for the song "Oh Thendraley" (Dont know the film name) in S.D ragam. IR was all in praise of C.R for this song. Only after this interview did I realise that all of IR's suddha Dhanyasi compositions(to my knowledge) has a ountainous surrounding in its background. For eg.
1. Oh Thendraley
2. Punjai undu nanjai undu (U.M.Thambi)
3. Malaiyil yaaro malarodu pesa (Chathriyan)
4. Pudhiya Poovidhu poothadhu (T.E.Thodum)
5. Vizhiyil Vizhundu idhayam (Alaigal Oiyvathillai)
and so on. But I do find some exceptions to this in IR's compositions. May be they fall under some complex category.
IMHO, IR is definetely the greatest with respect to the usage of a ragam according to the merits of the song, its background etc. For a person of the calibre of KB, IR is the best choice for MD. This is so because both are equally good in their depth of knowledge wrt carnatic music and ragams.
- From: Diwakar (@ 126.96.36.199)
on: Mon Apr 30 17:06:59 EDT 2001
And the classic 'oru nAL pOdumA' from tiruviLaiyAdal :
'en isaikEttu ezhundhOdi varuvArundO' - in thOdi
'enaikkiNaiyAga darbAril evarum undO' - in darbAr
'kAnada isai dEvan nAnadA' - in kAnadA
- From: Sriram Lakshman (@ 188.8.131.52)
on: Tue May 1 00:43:50 EDT 2001
Kannan, IR revealed once that the inspiration for 'mAlayil...' was 'khilthE hain gul yahAn' by SDB in Sharmilee, which is close to SD.
- From: rajaG (@ 184.108.40.206)
on: Tue May 1 16:03:01 EDT 2001
kannan: Yeh Zindagi usiki hai is NOT Sudhdha dhanyaasi. It uses the notes of both Kafi (Hindusthaani) and Natabhairavi (carnatic). Sudhdha Dhanyaasi is an audava raaga with only 5 notes.
- From: gundu (@ 220.127.116.11)
on: Wed May 2 22:18:55 EDT 2001
Kupps & Karthik S,
Paadum Paravaigal- original film is Keeravani in Telugu. Vamsi is the director.
w.r.t. this posting by KS, a small clarification. the original movie in telugu was "anweshana" ... vamsi - IR combo .. I think the second one . it's a suspense thriller with classy songs by IR.
- From: KS (@ 18.104.22.168)
on: Mon May 7 17:30:08 EDT 2001
Oranjaaram ushaarayya ushaaru - Kakkai Chiraginilae - Desh, Kaapi raagams
Source: Ramaswamy Gireesan's site.
List all pages of this thread
Back to the Forum