Topic started by RameshG (@ spider-tq041.proxy.aol.com) on Sat Apr 8 15:11:46 EDT 2000.
All times in EST +10:30 for IST.
If you were to direct and produce a Tamil Film, How would you choose your MD?. What characteristics would you look for in the MD?.
Please refrain from comparing any two MD's or mentioning any MD by name here(there are enough topics in this forum for that). I am interested in finding out what personalities, talents and skills would you look for in the MD you have to choose for your movie.
- From: RameshG (@ spider-to082.proxy.aol.com)
on: Sat Apr 8 20:11:19 EDT 2000
I had not thought about the topic much when I created it. Since then I gave some more thoughts to it.
The title and preface doesn’t seem to reflect what I really meant to discuss (and it looks totally absurd now). “ How would choose your MD’ would have been a better title.
Anyway, let me share with you guys an overview of my thought process in the hope that each of you guys would come up with thoughts of your own and we would have fun (instead of heated arguments).
If I were to select an MD for a Tamil Film that I am to direct and produce ....
My first thought was to just have my favorite MD do it. But then, it is not that simple. There are many factors that would influence my decision.
1. A film has to find a balance between the business and art aspect and should reach a wider audience. So how much of weightage should I give to my favoritism to a MD?. – my rating : 10%
2. I would naturally have to depend on others like my scriptwriter, my assistant directors, my financiers. I would then be influenced by their favoritism to a MD by say 5%.
3. Weightage to financial considerations - 25%.
4. Ability to get along with the MD – 15%.
5. Marketability and popularity of a particular MD – 20%
6. Experience of the MD to score songs for a particular situation, and give variety - 10%. (This makes a new MD entering the field really difficult. Doesn’t it!!)
7. Ability to score background music – 15%
Then I would probably rate the MD’s based on these various factors, multiply them with the weightage and arrive at who should do my first film.
How would you decide?.
- From: eden (@ 126.96.36.199)
on: Sun Apr 9 04:13:15 EDT 2000
The theme of the movie should be given more weightage, IMO, and which MD can contribute most to the theme or subject of the main story...I would give 4 for this factor (out of a total 10)
Another 3 for the director's fav MD (that includes getting along to a great extent, confidence in abilities, experience etc.)
Another 3 to budget & marketing considerations :-)
- From: A.G.Kutty (@ cf1-real.isu.net.sa)
on: Thu Apr 13 15:05:34 EDT 2000
Creativity of the MD to produce the song consistent with the scene is important. I
also feel that his capacity to assess the
taste of the specific group of target audience , for whose appreciation the song is expeceted to be made, is also a key factor.
- From: Shankar (@ jrc-cache8.jaring.my)
on: Fri Apr 14 10:50:31 EDT 2000
Ability to carry the mood of the story through BGM is very important. Songs does not really matter. If they are good its just added entertainment for the audiences. If u review the hit movie or flops over the recent years u will get my point.
List all pages of this thread
Back to the Forum