Topic started by RR (@ proxy.krdl.org.sg) on Mon Jul 3 23:09:07 EDT 2000.
All times in EST +10:30 for IST.
There are quite a few songs penned with some personalities in mind - sometimes explicit and more often hidden. This thread is to explore such songs and any interesting background stories.
- Old responses
- From: Manisegaran (@ brf-cache10.jaring.my)
on: Thu Jul 6 04:56:35 EDT 2000
13) After Kannadasan left DMK he started to attack the hiprocricy of the leaders. One of his targets was MGR himself. Kannadaasan felt that many cine stars became philanthrophists to escape income tax. So he came out with the movie "Karuppu Panam" There was a dance scene for which Kannadasan wrote a song. In composing the song he kept MGR in his mind. The attack was very subtle. The song is:
Kayiley Panam Irunthaal Kazhudai kooda arasanadi
Kai thatta aal irunthaal kaakkai kooda azhaganadi
Porada selbavaney veerathi veeranadi
pogamal iruppavaney sagaatha thalaivanadi
maar thatti pesivittaal Mannathi Mannanadi
mannippu kettuvittaal Makkalukku thondanadi
14)Many of us would have seen the movie "Naan Vanangum Deivam" which is an average movie, with music by KVM. There is an excellent song written for the film. The song was originally written keeping the main hero Sivaji Ganesan in mind. But as the producers later found that the voice of the playback singer would not suit Sivaji the nleast, they at the last moment switched to picturising on TR Ramachandran. The singer is L.Ragavan, with Jikki. The song is:
Mullai Poo Manakkuthu Muthai Poley SIrikkuthu
Alli ALli vaasa Thenai Ilanthendral Thelikkuthu.
15) We may remember that on 9 February 1950 Kannadasan married Ponnammai Aachi. In the following year Baga Pirivinai was released. In that film Kannadasan wrote a song for Sivaji and Saroja Devi who acted as Ponnammaa. While he wrote for them Kannadasan had his first wife Ponnamma in his mind. The song goes:
Thaazhayaam Poo mudichu thadam ppaarthu nadai nadanthu
Vaazhai ilai pola vantha ponamma En
Vaasalukku vangi vanthathu ennamma
Thayarin seethanamum thambimaar perum poruluma
mamiyaar veedu vanthaal pothumaa-athu
manathi maanangalai kaakkumaa? maanathi maanangalai kaakkuma?
16) Padmini is the longest acting star among the Truvangoor sisters. From a dancer she became a heroine and acted in many movies. When Padmini got married she went off to the USA for a long time. She even announced that she wanted to settle in the states. While she was away, Saroja Devi was shining in Tamil cinema. She produced silver jubilee runs with MGR, Gemini and Sivaji. She was the dream queen for that short period of time. Suddenly Padmini reappeared after three years and wanted to act. She was put to act, this time with an average actor at that time, who had few cinema chances. It was SSR. The film was Kaattu Roja. The cinme circle started to hiss around that Padmini had aged and she had to take leave for good. But Padmini took it as a chellenge and wanted to prove her youthfulness. Kannadasan wrote a song for Padmini, shooting questions at Saroja Devi who was at the height of her glory. The song is:
Yenadi Roja(Sarojadevi) Ennadi Sirippu
Andru (USA)Ponaval indru vanthuvitaal enru (yelana)Punnagai seithayo?
Rathinak kambalamey! Adi Muthirai mothiramey-Nee
Naalai pozhuthukkul Vaadi vizhunthidum Maayak kathayadiyo!
Naan Sithira Penmayadi-Ithu Theiva Paruvamadi
Ethanai Kalangal Maariya pothilum Enrum ilamayadi-enakku
17) Kannadasan used to call Sinnappa Devar his Sadyappa Vallal. This is because Devar always gave financial assistance to Kannadasan whenever he ran into difficulties. There was a time when Kannadasan was looking for a marriage hall for his daughter. No hall was available. There was ample land in front of Kavitha Hotel of Kannadasan. Devar gave money to Kannadasan and the marriage hall was up in front of Kavitha Hotel. Kannadasan named the hall Devar Kalyana Mandapam. When the film Deivam was produced, Kannadasan sat with kunnakudi vaithiyanathan and wrote songs for the film. He made dircect reference to Devar in a song that was written for the film. The song is:
Maruthamani Maamaniyey Murugaiyaa
Devarin kulam Kaakkum Velaiyaaa
18)Panju Arunasalam was a long time assistant for Kannadaasan. Kannadasan came late to studio when the film Saradha was in the making. Therefore the producers got Panju to write a song. He wrote the song Manamagaley Manamagaley Vaa Vaa. Kannadasan jined later and corected the lines. That was about the first attempt of Panju on his own.
Later he had written songs on his own. Later Kannadasan was booked to write for the film Gowravam. After signing the agreement, he went overseas and could not retunr on time.Panju Arunasalam wanted to take the place of Kannadasan and he spoke about it openly to producer Rangarajan and director Sundram. These are people who had made up their mind not to produce movie without Kannadasan's songs. SO they refused and waited for Kannadasan to return from Malaysia. They even phoned Kannadasan and asked him to hasten to Tamilnadu, but never told the matter. Kannadasan reached Madras and was informed of the attempt by Panju. Kannadasan was much disappinted. The film scene suited him very well, and he wrote the follwing lines for Sivaji, keeping Panju Arunasalam in mind.
Palootti valartha Kili
Pazham koduthu kaatha kili
nann valartha pachai kili nalai varum kacherikku.
To be continued....
- From: cram (@ 18.104.22.168)
on: Thu Jul 6 06:37:28 EDT 2000
Wasn't Sonnathu neethaana sol sol en uyire written by Kannadasan keeping MSV in mind?
And is there a stopry behind this song:
Kan pona pokkile kaal pogalama...
... Thirunthaadha ullangal irunthenna laabam...
- From: Manisegaran (@ bkj-cache82.jaring.my)
on: Thu Jul 6 07:27:29 EDT 2000
The song Sonnathu neethanaa was written keeping MSV in mind. Someone misquoted MSV and Kannadasan was very hurt. Therefore he wrote those lines in Nenjil Ore Aalayam. Later things were pacified.
I have no knowledge about Kan Pona Pokkiley in Panam Padaithavan. The cine field is an ocean.
- From: Ramki (@ ws55.telsoft.net)
on: Thu Jul 6 10:09:43 EDT 2000
Sindhu bhairavi was released during the time of IR_VM oodal.
I think VM wrote these lines with IR in mind:
ennamo raagam enna ennamo thaaLam
thalaiyai aatum puriyadha kootam
(implying there was no importance for lyrics in his songs)
sathathil porandha sangathithaan
sonnadhu thappaa thappa
ragathil pudhusu ennadhappa
ammi araichavaa gummi adichava
nattu purathile sonnadhappa
(adhaagapattadhu IR naatupura paadalgaLai copy adikkiraar endru..:))
idhu athanaiyum adiyenoda guessing:)
- From: Manisegaran (@ brf-cache10.jaring.my)
on: Fri Jul 7 04:46:17 EDT 2000
19) Vaijanthimala was called Baby in her house. In Then Nilavu her name was not Baby, but Kannadasan used her house name in composing a song. He had the original Vaijanthimala. The song is:
Oho Enthan baby, Nee vaarai Enthan Baby
Kalai Mevum Varna Jaalam Kodna Kolam Kaanalaam
20) MGR insisted being called Chinnavar and he wanted his elder brother Sarangapaani to be called Periyavar. This was before he became CM. In Thani Piravi, Kannadasan wrote a song for him, but keeping in mind the original MGR. The song is Kannathil Ennadi Kkayam. The line os interest, as sung by Jayalalitha is :
Selathu Pattondru Vaangi Vanthar-Intha
SINNAVARAI Poi Kelum-Kannadi Munnaal Ninru Paarum
21) P. Banumathy considered Udumalai Narayanakkavi as the very best poet, and refused to recongnise others. When Kannadasan was introduced to her the first time as a poet, she shun him away. Kannadasan was hurt. It was much later that Banumathy saw the greatness of Kannadasaan. She really accepted his talent and abilities. In between was the film Ambikapathy. In the film she played the role of Amaravathy. But Kannadasan wrote as song for Amaravathy, keeping in mind the original Banumathy. The song is Kanniley Iruppathenna Kanni Ilam Maaney-Kaaviyamo, Oviyamo Kanni Ilam Maaney. The lines of interest to us are:
Pal Varisai Mullai Enraal Kanni IlamMaaney
Paadum Vandaai naan Varavaa Kanni Ilam Maaney
BANUMATHI Maari Varum Vanagathu Meeney!
Paarkka Unnai Theduthadi Kanni Ilam Maaney.
22) Vali had been keeping a girl in his heart for a long time. They had mutuial feelings, but the girl could not make a decision about marriage. In Enga Veettu Pillai Vali wrote a song for MGR and Saroja Devi. In the song he kept his girl in mind and raised a question which came to be answered in the form of marriage. The song is
Kumari Pennin Ullathiley Kudi Irukkaa Naan Varavendum
Kudi Irukka Naan Varuvathendraal
Vadakai Enna Tharavendum
Kumari Pennin Kaikaliley Kathal Nenjai Thara Vendum
Kathal Nenjai Thanthuvittu
Kudiyirukka nee vara Vendum.
- From: eden (@ 22.214.171.124)
on: Fri Jul 7 05:10:11 EDT 2000
VM penned the following lines for Sivaji (keeping in mind the real life Sivaji):
`uLLa azhuguREn, veLiya sirikkiREn,
nalla vEshandhAn, veLuththu vAnguREN'
(`poongAtRu thrumbumA' in mudhal mariyAdhai)
- From: cram (@ 126.96.36.199)
on: Fri Jul 7 06:12:30 EDT 2000
it's my guess that your guess is totally wrong:-))
in the first place, VM had no reason at all to criticise IR, because both were sailing smoothly together at that time.
secondly, VM's lyrics were never lost in the din of music as they have happened with ARR, so ur line of argument does not apply.
and regarding the last lines, the song Paadariyen padippariyen is itself a folk song (it appeared for the first time in a Thiruvizha Kooththu in Puthiya Vaarppugal, sung by IR, BR, GA and RD Bhaskar, and next in Karaiyellam Shenbagappoo, where Manorama sings it). One can surmise that these lines were written for IR, because he's always believed that folk music is no less than classical stuff. In Thooliyile aadavantha (Chinna Thambi), there are similar lines: 7 kattai 8 kattai therinja naan padichchen.
- From: no jalra (@ )
on: Fri Nov 23 00:54:24 EST 2001
'kasi' audio releasing tomorrow.
and raaja is composing music for a new film called 'music'.
- From: TamilRoja (@ )
on: Mon Nov 10 09:38:37 EST 2003
wow....where did u get all these info?
how abt vaali? there was an incident which made vaali to pen the famous song koduthathellam koduthaan for mgr's padagoti! but i can't recall!
any info on tat?
List all pages of this thread
Back to the Forum