Topic started by Ramki (@ dante.cs.wmich.edu) on Mon Aug 10 13:49:50 EDT 1998.
All times in EST +10:30 for IST.
Never became popular,never received a national award , but was very well know for her different 'kreech'voice. Introduced by IR in 'ponnu oorukku pudhusu'-Her ganeer voice for 'solai kuyile'attracted attention of many. She became busy by singing atleast on song in every IR film until the introduction of Chitra,which was somewhere in 1986.She was then never used by IR or GA.Shankar Ganesh was the only who was still using her but then they themselves couldnt survive in the industry.
This thread is an attempt to list out the innumerable songs she has sung and also to analyse her downfall in TFM(she is still singing in Telugu
- Old responses
- From: Ramki (@ dante.cs.wmich.edu)
on: Tue Aug 11 12:34:21 EDT 1998
ah yes thanks pagalavan
- From: Bharat (@ isdbsd1-inet.ci.mil.wi.us)
on: Tue Aug 11 13:16:06 EDT 1998
Ramki: Are your sure about iravu nEram? It sounds like PS sang it (no "keech kural" at all!).
- From: Srikanth (@ inet35.us.oracle.com)
on: Tue Aug 11 13:33:27 EDT 1998
One of the reasons that SP Shailaja didn't become famous/click is:
* earlier when the lyrics were decent, PS and SJ dominated the Telugu FM and so is Tamil FM, I think. S, there is little chance for SPS. Also, her voice is not mature enough -- she used to sing for child artists. Even now, her voice doesn't suit perfectly for heroines.
* then it was time for poluted, double meaning lyrics. This was the time Chitra came into picture (I am not commenting on Chitra's abilities. But, I used to hate Chitra for her mis-pronunciations. Even her voice is not clear as it is now and I feel it was shrill at that time.) In this scenario, PS, SJ and SPS reduced their songs. REmember, some of the songs were so obscene that they can't sing. Also, one more factor for SP is that she being sister of SPB couldn't sing many duets along with him (Most of the duets she has sung are with Mano -- this can be one evidence of thsi fact). Note that ARR hasn't arrived into the market yet and so is the new technology. I believe the recordings used to take place with the orchestra and with both the singers. So SPS went under-ground.
* The filmwallahs took advantage of chitra in that they used to give junk lyrics to her to sing. Poor lady, being non-telugu speaking, used to sing all kinds of songs. I pity her.
* SPS later got married with Sudhakar and at present she is conducting some "antyakshari" shows on Gemini television or ETV.
To add to the list of SPS's good songs, there is one in "Mondi Mogudu, Penki Pellam" (telugu) -- the song has lot of Telangana words and in that accent. This song became instant hit in AP.
- From: Mano (@ marconi.uwaterloo.ca)
on: Tue Aug 11 16:21:03 EDT 1998
Eera thamaari Poove.. (Humming) Paai Mara Kapal
- From: Udhaya (@ 22.214.171.124)
on: Tue Aug 11 16:53:40 EDT 1998
All songs from Kannodu Kann:
-enai thedum maegam
were love duets with SPB, but I see what you mean, Srikanth, about her not singing sexy lyrics with her brother. But SJ could never have stayed away for that reason, she loved to ham it up with SPB (SagalaKalaaVallavan songs)
- From: Srinath (@ socks6d.raleigh.ibm.com)
on: Tue Aug 11 17:25:43 EDT 1998
Sorry :-) That sounded a lot like SPS, and believe me, I've heard the song a billion times ! Perhaps the high pitch of the song misled me ! Thanks for the corretion :-)
- From: Mano (@ gaff141.watstar.uwaterloo.ca)
on: Tue Aug 11 17:41:02 EDT 1998
Ennai Thedum is Duet with VJ.
- From: Rajaraman (@ 126.96.36.199)
on: Tue Aug 11 21:55:28 EDT 1998
The Sparisam song is "aayiram malargal paniyil nanainthu".
- From: Ramki (@ pm062-21.spindler.wmich.edu)
on: Wed Aug 12 00:45:44 EDT 1998
Few more of SPS
unnai potri ezhudha pulavaningu arugilillai-periyidathu pillai
kalviyil saraswathi-kudumbam oru kadhambam
vaa vaa manjamalarae-rajadhi raja
oru naayagan udhayamaagiran-dhavani kanavugal
- From: Thenraja Kaliappan (@ msaunder.doas.state.ga.us)
on: Wed Aug 12 07:46:40 EDT 1998
Another good song with PBS
'maalai mayanginal iravaagum' in Inikkum Ilamai.
who is the MD for this movie?
- From: raja m (@ spider-wb084.proxy.aol.com)
on: Wed Aug 12 08:49:04 EDT 1998
I think the MDs for Inikkum Ilamai were Shankar Ganesh.
- From: Observer (@ spider-wc051.proxy.aol.com)
on: Thu Aug 13 22:20:01 EDT 1998
SPS had splendid qualities like SPB in voice modulation to the mildest of the range that suits a female singer. Listen to 'sOlai kuyilE ..' in an moderately high pitch (or keech!) songs as well as a sub-servient, low and smooth number like
'chinnan chiru vayathil ..' .
Chinnan chiru vayathil is one of best DUETs of SPS with KJ and her voice in this song suits most aptly the situation.
Another DUET with SPB from the film 'salangai oli',
'vaan polE vaNNam kondu vandAi gopAlanE..'.
SPB dominates in this song as the situation probably required more male singing (for kamal to be the key player, unquestionable!) than female (for geetha just supporting). But i also like SPS voice in this song as she sings equally good and her keech voice suits well for the lyrics.
- From: Geetha (@ gatekeeper.oracle.co.uk)
on: Fri Aug 14 09:25:34 EDT 1998
I'd like to know if SPS sang the 'Voice changed' duet, with SPB, CHINGIMAGA SINGAARI CHINNA PONNU VAIYAARI from Iravu Surian. Thanks in advance.....
Also, I liked her version of 'Om Namashivaya' in Salangai Oli. Her 'kreech' kural worked well here and she brought out all the Hindolam touches very well.....I believe the same song was sung by another female singer, SJ, I think, please can anyone clarify this? The SPS version was not used in the film, I believe.....Thanks again.
- From: Mano (@ wheel116.watstar.uwaterloo.ca)
on: Fri Aug 14 16:03:26 EDT 1998
SJ version of 'Om Namashivaya' was used in the movie.
- From: Veera (@ 1cust144.tnt2.det1.da.uu.net)
on: Sat Aug 15 02:26:29 EDT 1998
SPS married "Subhakar" and not Sudhakar. He is an actor in Telugu field.
- From: nandanan (@ )
on: Fri Sep 3 06:10:42 EDT 1999
i think sps was never as well used by raja for sexy songs as sj was.
ive heard some really sexy stuff by sps. check out the beginning of vvaa vaa vadhiyaare vaaa in mundhanai mudichu
- From: maithu (@ dynamic25.pm17.san-jose.best.com)
on: Fri Sep 3 17:54:49 EDT 1999
SPS has got some very good songs to her credit.Can anyone forget Aasaiyai kathullae thoodhu vittu......from johnny.
I think one must do that suits his or her, what is the necessasity of SPS anchoring a music show in Raj tv, where she was ultimately removed and was replaced by mano(adhai vida kodumai..)
Can anyone please answer, why film people call their fellow ones as anna, amma, sarojadeviamma, padminiamma, msvanna,....
- From: Ravi Kumar (@ ns1.putra.net)
on: Thu Sep 9 02:55:45 EDT 1999
Ayiram Malgale malarungal was sung by Vasudevan,s.p. sailaja and Jency.
one more song.
Malargalil adum-Kalyana Raman
- From: vasant (@ brassica.cc.umanitoba.ca)
on: Thu Sep 9 09:07:06 EDT 1999
One of sps best song was
rasave onnain naan yennithan
from thani kattu raja
- From: eden (@ 188.8.131.52)
on: Mon Sep 13 07:37:22 EDT 1999
The best of SPB-SPS duet: `Vaan pole vannam kondu vandhai poobalane' in Salangai Oli!
- From: cinipriyan (@ nat27.aspentec.com)
on: Mon Sep 13 14:42:53 EDT 1999
How about "Kaalai kaalai murattu kaalai" in Manidhan ? Isn't it a duet by SPB/SPS ?
- From: Ramki (@ )
on: Thu Mar 22 11:20:05 EST 2001
Read her interview
- From: siva (@ 184.108.40.206)
on: Thu Oct 31 04:40:38 EST 2002
some more song of SPS.
1.NAam Eruvar- Onnuthan erunduthan moonuthan moonaiyum koottina nalluthan......SPS&..? MD..?
2.Kelviyun naaney Bathilum naaney- AAdai kondu oodul kodai megamey......SPS& deepan ..i think.MD..?
3.Avan- ullunthu manasuthan ennai kandathum ....SPS solo song i think
4.Neruppukul eeram- there is one SPS duet
5.Annai enn deivam- Thekkaththi pakkaththu....SPS& ..?
- From: siva (@ 220.127.116.11)
on: Thu Nov 28 06:44:46 EST 2002
some more song of SPS.
1.Koteesvaran Magal-Unnai naan ariven ennai nee arivai.....sung by SPS&SPB
2.Devathai-Enge eru kodugal.... sung by SPS &SPB
3.Pattikaattu thambi-Moonu vellimani 32 thangamani naalum kalantha penmani.... sung by SPS&SPB
- From: Siva (@ 18.104.22.168)
on: Fri Nov 29 12:00:48 EST 2002
1.Antha oru nimidam-Thevai entha paavai thane intha kolam....sung by SPB&SPS.
- From: Meena (@ 22.214.171.124)
on: Fri May 30 11:52:46 EDT 2003
where can i hear to the song "Raasave unna naan ennithaan" from the movie thani kaattu raja sung by sp sailaja.
- From: kashif (@ 126.96.36.199)
on: Mon Mar 1 09:07:40 EST 2004
can i know mrs.shailaja of meenkara who sings?she belongs to shivaranjini films.
- From: Mythila (@ 188.8.131.52)
on: Fri Jul 16 05:05:51 EDT 2004
Shailaja is a technically perfect singer. I have not come across any instance of voice break, flat notes, off key singing in her songs.But film music requires more than just technical perfection like emotion, huskiness,some sort of malleable nature which she lacks.
Two of my most favourite Shailaja numbers have been omitted in this list making exercise
1. " Poonthottam poovil pennin jaadaigal" - This is a unique song composed by Illaiyaraja with 3 excellent interludes and a catchy rythm
2. "Ore mugam nilaa mugam
Ore mugam nilaa mugam ullaasamai nadakkum" - from some unreleased film "Oppandham" MDed by Illaiyaraaja again.
- From: Mythila (@ 184.108.40.206)
on: Sat Jul 17 09:46:25 EDT 2004
Remembered another song of Shailaja's from an unreleased film "pannaipurathu paandavargal" , MDed by Gangai Amaran. The song goes like this
"Aaru oduthu oduthu
Yaaraiyo theduthu" - a nice rural song.
List all pages of this thread
Back to the Forum