Topic started by raycas (@ 184.108.40.206) on Thu Nov 15 16:16:53 EST 2001.
All times in EST +10:30 for IST.
dear ilayaraja fans (knowers), i need ur kind help. i'm an ARR fan, rather young, only 20 years old, spent only 7 years of my life in india (3-7), started hearing to tfm only after ARR came, so stuck to his music, now, with hj, ysr and others, i also started listening to theirs. but there is a legend whose music i like, at least i got to hear some of it here and there, and i must admit i liked it. of course i'm talking about ilayaraja. but as this legend is told to be the master of combining quantity with quality, i find it difficult to start listening to all his songs. so my request is following:
could u people name me songs of ilayaraja which one will like from the first time hearing onwards. i mean songs which were just great hits, for a start only the ones in the 80s. i have heard following ones, and liked them very much, so the songs u name should go in this tradition: songs of 'nayakan' (with most famous 'thenpandi cheemayile', my favourite), 'abhoorva sahootharangal' ('pudhu mapilaku', 'raja kaya vecha','unnai nenachen'), 'dalapathi' ('rakamma', 'kaatu kuyilu')...that's all i know till yet.
so please only the ones which will at first hear strike ur ears...like the ones i mentioned.
for example, when someone asked me to do the same for ARR, i would name following songs: 'chinna chinna asai' (roja), 'chikku buku raile' (gentleman), 'hamma hamma', 'uyire' (bombay), 'anjali', 'venilavin' (duet), 'oorvasi - take it easy' and others of (kadhalan), 'odakara' (indhira), 'thillana thillana' (muthu) and so on.... (the actual list would become too long)...
so kindly help!
- Old responses
- From: Mani.. (@ 220.127.116.11)
on: Wed Nov 21 03:41:31 EST 2001
Please send the excel sheet to me too! Thanks.
- From: cosmician (@ 18.104.22.168)
on: Wed Nov 21 05:36:59 EST 2001
these are a few of IR's very modern and urban songs which will be appreciated by the younger generation who are really interested in knowing what they have missed in the 80s and early 90s...
1. Rakkamma - Thalapathi (very trendy at that time and a beat that was copied by many bollywood MDs)
2. Sundari... - Thalapathi (A very modern Symphonic duet)
3. Pottu Vaitha... - Idhayam
4. Thendral vanthu... - Avatharam (another synth based)
5. Thendral vanthu ennai thodum...could someone also specify the film name please ? (This song also is KR's favourite as he had mentioned in one of his earliest interviews on TV)
6. Nethu Oruthara Oruthara paathom.... - ?(post-modern tamil synth pop sound...maybe the first of its kind in TFM)
7. Pani Vilum Malar vanam.... - ? (classic tamil rock)
8. Hey Rasathi Rasathi... - (beautiful and unforgettable voice harmonies)
9. Raja Rajadhi.... - Agni Natchathiram (electronic drums sing a melody !!)
10. Vidiya Vidiya....- Idhaiyathai Thirudathe (at last a very modern mid-80s style pop song from IR)
11. Manram Vanthu... - Mouna Ragam (a very soulful rock-ballad style song beautifully renditioned by SPB - not to be missed !...another song that could fall into a similar style is "Oh Butterfly... from Meera and Konji Konji...- Veera)
12. Potu Vaitha Kadhal Thittam - Singara Velan (a kind of hard rock with electric guitars with powerchords and over drive coupled with Kamal's unconventionl singing)
13. Partha...? - Satya (good rock number sung by Kamal and chorus ...please corrrect my bad spellings and mistakes)
These are a few of the songs of IR that I'd loved and learned to listen and appreciate since 1986...that time I was majorly into A-HA and Pet Shop Boys and was expecting to hear the same influences in IR's music....they showed up in ARR's !
- From: S.Sridhar (@ 22.214.171.124)
on: Wed Nov 21 06:39:55 EST 2001
every word you have written is true and reflects the minds of many such fans like me.
Ilayaraja is a phenomeneon.
We should be proud that we live in his era.
welcome to the world of Raaja's music.
It is just impossible to give a list of
great sonngs. I will get tired of typing.
I'll give five numbers.
1. Oru Raagam Paadalodu(Anandha Raagam)
2. Kannan Oru Kai Kuzhandhai(Bathra Kaali)
3. Andhi Mazhai (Raaja Paarvai)
4. Vaan Megangale(Pudhiya Vaarpugal)
5. AAgaya Gangai (Dharma Udhdham)
- From: eden (@ 126.96.36.199)
on: Wed Nov 21 06:48:43 EST 2001
fliflo, I hereby confirm that is not my `top 10' list. It was a failed attempt to select just 10 albums of maestro:-)
- From: suresh (@ 188.8.131.52)
on: Wed Nov 21 12:05:44 EST 2001
"Thendral vandhu ennai thodum" - How can you forget "Thendrale Ennai Thodu"? A wonderful album with other unforgettable nos. - "pudhiya poovidhu", "kanmani nee vara kaathirundhen", "kavithai paadum kuyile".., each one with a different rhythm and feel. Esp. "pudhiya poovidhu" is a remarkable song whose charanams feature in my all-time favourite list of SPBs singing.
- From: kiru (@ 184.108.40.206)
on: Thu Nov 22 20:50:11 EST 2001
Guys..my brother just sent some IR collections on CD and some LPs through my parents. You've got to listen to 'dheiveega rAgam..kEttAlum pOthum' from ullAsap paravaigaL. Amazing..Wow. I doubt I will get to hear a song again like that in the future..
- From: hari (@ )
on: Mon May 24 02:57:10 EDT 2004
I can't live without IR's music
- From: veera (@ 220.127.116.11)
on: Tue May 25 14:31:50 EDT 2004
RAYCAS, Here are some songs that you most likely will fall in love from the get go.
NOTE: Raja was BIG on MELODY. So, do not look for some hi quality beats/orchestration, as these were from his earlier movies. Listen to the softness, the simplicity in music, and the TUNE that touches ones heart. Hope you like them. Song starting followed by movie name then year.
Oru Naal Unnodu from Uravadum Nenjam 1976
Kaalai Paniyil from Gayathiri 1977
Kaadhal Oviyam Kanden from Kavi Kuyil 1977
Oru Kaathal Thevathai from Saaindhaadammaa Saaindhaadu 1977
Panneer Pushpangale from Aval Appadithaan 1978
Uravugal Thodarkadhai from Aval Appadithaan 1978
Oru Naal Onnadu from Chitukuruvi 1978
Kanden Engum from Kaatrile Varum Geetham 1978
Idho Idho En Nenjile from Vatathukkul Sathuram 1978
Etho Ninaivugal from Agal Vilaku 1979
Nadhiyoram from Annai Oru Aalayam 1979
Thanimayil from Azhage Unnai Aaradhikeeran 1979
Agaiya Gangai from Dharma Yutham 1979
Thamthana from Pagalil Oru Iravu 1979
Devathai from Pattakathi Bairavan 1979
Engengo Sellum from Pattakathi Bairavan 1979
Samakhozhi from Ponu Ooruku Puthusu 1979
- From: subbu (@ )
on: Fri Nov 19 07:55:38 EST 2004
Dear all I am ilayaraja's fan,
Can any one tell me where can i download the songs from the film Raman Abdullah and pudhu Pattu ?
I live in sydney
- From: dinesh (@ 18.104.22.168)
on: Fri Nov 19 09:07:25 EST 2004
my dear,did u know Muqabala - Kadhalan won an award,the MOST COPIED TUNE (it means many many replica songs like it),i think that songs reached something which all the md's wanna have that song!!
- From: Babaji (@ 22.214.171.124)
on: Fri Nov 19 09:08:12 EST 2004
'Kaadhal Oviyam Kanden from Kavi Kuyil 1977' it was Rajni movie right?
'Nadhiyoram from Annai Oru Aalayam 1979 ', by SPB+PS??
- From: Sarath (@ 126.96.36.199)
on: Fri Nov 19 17:34:17 EST 2004
1. Ohh Butter fly butter fly [ meera]
2. Nee paartha paarvai koru nanri [ hey ram]
3. Sempoovae poovae un megam [ Sirai chaalai]
4. Engirunthou elam kuyilin [ Piramma]
5. Kannaalae kaathal kavithai [ Kalaighan]
- From: Kumar (@ 188.8.131.52)
on: Fri Nov 19 20:21:56 EST 2004
Kannaalae Kathal Kavithai - From " AATHMA"
List all pages of this thread
Back to the Forum