Topic started by Sriram (@ 184.108.40.206) on Thu Jul 1 16:19:32 EDT 2004.
All times in EST +10:30 for IST.
Dear TFM Lovers,
I am an Ilayaraja Fan. Here is an sincere attempt to list his "Best 10" albums. Yes -
there are lot of singles outside these top 10 movies, but I think these movies have atleast one "jem" and most of the other songs are above average. One or two may be "below-average", but they are there to fit the movie story line and commercial requirements.
Here is the great list:
3) Alaigal Oivathillai/Tamil/1981
4) Kaadhal Oviyam/Tamil/1982
5) Ninaivellam Nitya/Tamil/1982
6) Saagara Sangamam/Telugu/1983
7) Sindhu Bairavi/Tamil/1985
8) Kadalora Kavithaigal/Tamil/1986
9) Enga Ooru Paattukkaaran/Tamil/1987
10 Agni Nakshatram/Tamil/1988
(It is no surprise we have 4 Bharathiraja movies....)
Here are rest of the movies that got considered for top 10 list, but did not make it.
1) Kavi Kuyil/Tamil/1977
2) Kaatrinile Varum Geetham/Tamil/1978
4) Sigappu Rojakkal/Tamil/1978
5) Azhage Unnai Aarathikkirean/Tamil/1979
6) Niram Maaraatha Pookkal/Tamil/1979
7) Rosaappo Ravikkai Kaari/Tamil/1979
8) Ullasa Paravaigal/Tamil/1980
9) Moonraam Pirai/Tamil/1982
10) Payanangal Mudivathillai/Tamil/1982
11) Ilamai Kaalangal/Tamil/1983
12) Naan Paadum Paadal/Tamil/1984
13) Neengal Kettvai/Tamil/1984
15) Idhaya Koil/Tamil/1985
16) Kaakki Sattai/Tamil/1985
17) Mudhal Mariyaadai/Tamil/1985
18) Amman Koil Kizhakkaalae/Tamil/1986
19) Mella Thiranthathu Kadhavu/Tamil/1986
20) Mouna Raagam/Tamil/1986
21) Rudra Veena/Telugu/1988
22) Apoorva Sahodarargal/Tamil/1989
23) Pudhu Pudhu Arthangal/Tamil/1989
24) Raajadhi Raaja/Tamil/1989
25) Bobbili Raja/Telugu/1990
26) Chinna Thambi/Tamil/1991
29) Chinna Gownder/Tamil/1992
30) Senthamizh Paattu/Tamil/1992
34) Moha Mull/Tamil/1995
35) Kaadhalukku Mariyaadai/Tamil/1997
Your comments welcome.
- Old responses
- From: Mythila (@ 220.127.116.11)
on: Wed Jul 7 07:32:16 EDT 2004
My enumeration list :
I rate these as the best 10 as they are seldom heard and I feel like hearing them today
4. Nilavu Suduvathillai
7. Kaadhal rojave
8. Pootaadha pootukkal
9. Sigappu rojakkal
- From: GANSPB (@ 18.104.22.168)
on: Wed Jul 7 18:23:54 EDT 2004
1.Priya.(Intro to Stereo.Listen to the recording
which will silence critics who say he is not a good Sound Engineer)
2.Sigappu Rojakkal.(Rerecording for a thriller/horror movie even RD Burman struggled to score the Background music when remade in Hindi.)
3.Jhonny(Rerecording and 5 diffrent songs)
4.Payanangal Mudivadhillai(His 1st movie in which just with his music it ran for a year.This trend followed and lifted many movies with his music alone.)
5.EeraVizhi Kaviyangal(Unheard Gem.Thanks to TFM)
6.Idhaya Kovil(SPB and Raja at thier best)
7.Mouna Ragam(Rerecording at its best)
8.Anjali(One and only IR can score music for this movie)
- From: ganspb (@ 22.214.171.124)
on: Wed Jul 7 18:28:39 EDT 2004
Just a Diggression.,
In the year 1984 Diwali these were the movies which IR scored movies.
My dear Kuttichathan
Unnai Naan Sandhithen.
The music for all of the movies were hit.If you look at all of the important days like Tamil Newyear,Pongal and Diwali in the 80s all the major movies will be by IR and they will become hits.
Just note that he has composed around 25songs in the above mentioned movies which were alltime hits.
- From: maacha (@ 126.96.36.199)
on: Thu Jul 8 10:48:18 EDT 2004
My top 10 albums always will be
1. paalooti valartha kili
3. Idhu eppadi irukku
4. thooral ninnu pochu
5. therkathi kallan
6. raani theni
7. naanum oru rasigan
8. unnai vaazhthi paadugiren
9. oruvar vaazhgum alayam
10. kannukul nilavu
- From: Dorai (@ 188.8.131.52)
on: Thu Jul 8 11:48:55 EDT 2004
Replace Engavoru Pattukaram with Mudhal Mariyadhai.
- From: Raghu (@ 184.108.40.206)
on: Fri Jul 9 08:45:52 EDT 2004
>>30) Senthamizh Paattu/Tamil/1992 << I thought that was combination of MSV + IR, after the 'Mella Thiranthathu Kathavu', I think
IR scored the BGM for these movies while, MSV scored the songs!
- From: Good choice, Dorai (@ 220.127.116.11)
on: Fri Jul 9 09:46:11 EDT 2004
I also believe, Mudhal Mariyathai had better music overall comapared to Enga Ooru Pattukkaran
- From: Dorai (@ 18.104.22.168)
on: Fri Jul 9 10:06:10 EDT 2004
I guess atleast here we aggree with each other. :)
- From: Sriram (@ 22.214.171.124)
on: Fri Jul 9 10:36:26 EDT 2004
I agree "Enga Ooru Pattukkaran" is a bad choice. I shall replace it with "Vaidehi Kathirundhal" (I missed this movie name in my grand list of 500 movies).
I do not want to include MM, because VM got national award for that movie... IR would not like it. ;)
- From: Note Man (@ 126.96.36.199)
on: Fri Jul 9 12:58:12 EDT 2004
Senthamizh pattu did have songs by IR.
- From: Udhayan (@ 188.8.131.52)
on: Tue Jul 13 03:25:15 EDT 2004
No Senthamizh pattu was by MSV
- From: busvaanam (@ 184.108.40.206)
on: Tue Jul 13 10:29:57 EDT 2004
Senthamizhpaatu, selvan,mellathirandhadhu kadavu are successful kootani by IR and MSV
- From: busvaanam (@ 220.127.116.11)
on: Tue Jul 13 10:39:36 EDT 2004
Who said IR lost magic recently?
Guys, this list is my hot favourite currently. I can't get over them. Atlease there are 2 or 3 extraordinary songs in this list
4.manam virumbuthe unnai
6.solla marandha kadai
8.kannaa unnai thedugiren
9. enmana vaanil
15.kutty and kamaraj
- From: skumar (@ 18.104.22.168)
on: Tue Jul 13 17:49:41 EDT 2004
Another movie that I feel had all good songs is "Japanil Kalyanaraman".
'appappa thithikkum' has an excellent second interlude in which SPB and IR just enjoy themselves. 'chinnapoo' has 3 charanams, with IR's excellent western classical based interludes.
All the other songs are very enjoyable, considering the movie situations and the genre of the songs('vaaya vaaya' for example).
List all pages of this thread
Back to the Forum