Really, only stunningly perfect melodies in TFM and outside TF
Topic started by Raja Fan (@ spider-wg032.proxy.aol.com) on Mon Aug 16 00:57:40 EDT 1999.
All times in EST +10:30 for IST.
This is not easy. For one reason, most of us have not heard many, many melodies from around the world. Second, most of us are also not clear about what a really stunning melody sounds like. I will give you those examples and then let us pick out for every 10 that we think is melodious only one might pass the test of being a thorough melody, that it is 200% melodious with any doubt.
A lot of us think IR is matchless even only because he is the king in conjuring clever tunes and stunning interludes, while we say that it was MSV and others who probably gave melody its full justice. IR did give some melodies for which there is no compare and I want to list them out here, in addition to also listing some non TFM songs that fall in that 200% melodious. Let us also try to group into 3 categories the indubitably melodious numbers. Group one is without doubt the 200%; Group 2 is the 100% melodious; and group 3 is 75%. I take off with the song: KALAI PANIYIL in the film GAYATHRI sung by SUJATHA, and the second number is SOLAI KUYILEY AADUM AZHAGEY in PONNU URUKKU PUDUSU sung by SPSailaja. This songs are the benchmark's for 200% melodious. ORU NAAL UNNODU ORU NAAL (SPB and SJ in Uravadum Nenjam) and YEN KANMANI (Chittukkuruvi) are the 100% melodies. You see the fine line, yet there is a difference in the categories! An example for 75% melodies are: Sindiya Venmani by KJY (somehow the Pallavi seems incomplete, while the song is melodious) Raathiriyul Puthirukkum in Thanga Magan may fall in group 3 or a group 4 50% melodious yet a good melody!
- From: Raja Fan (@ spider-wg032.proxy.aol.com)
on: Mon Aug 16 01:14:14 EDT 1999
Non TF songs that are 200% melodious and comparable with those 2 IR numbers:
TOWN OF EL PASO (an old COUNTRY song)
NEVER ON A SUNDAY ( an old GREEK song)
STRANGER IN THE NIGHT (Frank Sinatra)
MOON RIVER (Henry Mancini)
More IR 200% melodies:
3. Kannan Oru Kai Kuzhandai (Badrakali Yesudas and PSusheela, really no doubts about the flow of the song!)
4. Pesu Anbe (Vidiyum Varai Kkaththiru by SPB, SPS and Sasirekha, just amazingly melodious, so continuous. Many may have doubts, but check this song again. It is in Rex' site, song no. 5!)
5. Unakenna Thaane Inneramam (IR and Sarala in Ponnu Urrukku Pudhusu found in)
6. Uravugal Thodarkathai (Yesudas)
7. Yengum Niraindha Iyarkayin (man, what a astounding composition in Idhu Eppadi Irukku!)
8. Adi Penney (Jency in Mullum Malarum)
9. Senthazham Poovil (Yesudas in Mullum Malarum)
10. Iru Paravaigal Malai Muzhuvudham Ingey ( Jency in Niram Maradha Pookkal)
11. Pavala Kodiyile Muthukkal (TMS and LRE of MSV)
12. Kanchi Pattutuduthi Kasthuri Pottu (Yesudas and Sarala , a brilliant MSV song)
Many, many more to come. Hope you folks know the fine distinction between these 3 groups! My objective is to list out as many 200% melodious songs of all our composers and outside TFM and all the best 200% melodious songs of IR.
2. Adhi Kalai Neramey (Meendum Oru Kathal Kathai in Rex's Site)
3. Kaalam Maralam (Vaazhkai inRex's site)
4. Devan Thiruchabai Malargaley (Annai Velankanni
5. Nee Illadha Podhu (MV and SPS in Illamai Kkolam)
6. Kaalangal Mazhaikaalangal (MV and SJ in an old Rajini film)
7. Pani Vizhum Poon Nilavil (MV and SPS in Karumbu Vil)
2. Aaayriam Malargaley malarungal (Niram Maradha Pookkal)
3. Muthal Muthalaga Kaadhal Duet (Niram Maradha Pookkal)
- From: cram (@ 220.127.116.11)
on: Mon Aug 16 04:28:00 EDT 1999
what about aanandha raagam from panneer pushpangal, and metti oli from metti?
- From: vijay (@ 18.104.22.168)
on: Mon Aug 16 10:30:28 EDT 1999
another list making thread;((
- From: hari (@ hud04a01.ml.com)
on: Mon Aug 16 10:38:22 EDT 1999
and all this 200%, 100%, 75% are purely subjective based on individual's own personal preferences. I dont know, what else is the purpose of this listing?.
- From: mapillai (@ dyn2-254.kla-tencor.com)
on: Mon Aug 16 11:22:02 EDT 1999
Can you guys let me know if there is a vast population of IR fans since I am taking a survey, so that I could arrange to bring our maestro to give musical nights in the US through an organization.
- From: MS (@ 22.214.171.124)
on: Mon Aug 16 13:53:01 EDT 1999
I feel this attempt is similar to quantifying emotions :-). As hari observes, it is purely subjective unless one knows WC and IC in great detail.
- From: Raja Fan (@ spider-wi062.proxy.aol.com)
on: Mon Aug 16 21:43:32 EDT 1999
MS and Hari, it is not subjective at all! It requires some how much of a melody in a song makes a song totally melodious. This is not like saying beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. That holds good for on the average.
Music is either perfect or imperfect and some inbetween. Maybe one in a million churns in the ocean will get you the nectar. That is what many composers wait for to happen!
Another (200%, Hari this is to emphasise the difference between a complete melody and a melody more than words can describe!) 200% song is the Palaivanai cholai song: MEGHAME, MEGHAME
Similarly, there is one in Malayalam: KUMKUMA POTTIL URRUM KAVIDEY, NINDE MANDARA SMITHATHINU MOUNAM. Vani Jayaram and the composer is AT Ummer. No words to describe it the song! In fact, I discerned the difference only after maybe over 20 years of listening (perhaps I have logged in over a few thousands of hours!) and acquiring the skills to see the fine difference, which of course to a trained listener is a gaping difference!
But, I can see very few takers to this thread. I was hoping there were others who had studied the situation ;----) and was waiting to open a thread like this. More later.
Another of IR's 200% is YEN KALYANA VAIBOGAM UNNODU THAAN....
MSV'S MUTTHUKKALO KANGAL, MADHURAN NAGARIL MALAR MANJAM (By the way, anyone got this great number on the web!)
- From: vElai irundhum vElai seyyaadhavan (@ daecfp02.sprint.com)
on: Tue Aug 17 15:41:14 EDT 1999
Here are some additions to your list.
(1) aNNEy aNNEy sippaayaNNEy......12.34876% melody content.
(2) OrampO OrampO......14.657864% melody. No, on second thoughts 14.6578635% melody (sorry for wrong melody content identification)
(3) Vaa machchi machchi....9.876543987% or is it 9.876543986%? I leave it to your fine judgement.
Chicago la heat wave aa?
- From: Raja Fan (@ spider-tr033.proxy.aol.com)
on: Sun Aug 22 11:25:57 EDT 1999
vIvs, this is not an easy job. You are reaching only upto 14.xxxx% the thread was started with the hope that many others also saw melodies at a more critical or finer level. that is all sir. it is my way of representing (percentages)my perspective of melodies. If nobody is able to see the meaning of this topic does not mean that is a stupid thread.
- From: SK (@ azure.nus.edu.sg)
on: Sun Aug 22 20:31:12 EDT 1999
madhuraam nagaril is in the PPP Real Audio
It is in PBS Vol II
- From: Raja Fan (@ spider-wg071.proxy.aol.com)
on: Mon Aug 23 00:24:05 EDT 1999
SK, thanks so much. I am dying for this number!
- From: Raman (@ mcproxyge.geis.com)
on: Fri Aug 27 12:14:48 EDT 1999
Talking about Melody:
I'm a big IR fan and am happy for the innumerable melodies that he has given. I also listen to a lot of Malayalam film music because I understand and speak that language too, and there is one song that I recently heard that was so melodious that I was left speechless. It is sung by
K.J.Yesudas - The song is "anurAgini ithA eNn" from the film "Oru Kuda Keezhil"
Melody lovers, you must listen to it some time
- From: Kooththan (@ dhcp-css-consult-12.redbrick.com)
on: Fri Aug 27 21:19:11 EDT 1999
what about 'poovarayum poongodie poomaalai podava'(msv), 'majaLum thanthaaL malarkaL thanthaaL'(msv),'Solla cholla inikkuthadaa'(kvm),'putham puthiya puthagame unai puratti paarkum'(kvm)?
- From: Raja Fan (@ spider-th064.proxy.aol.com)
on: Sat Aug 28 00:08:23 EDT 1999
Raman, thanks for the info.We should really seek out such songs!
List all pages of this thread
Back to the Forum